UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) conducts one of the toughest exams in India i.e. Indian administrative services (IAS). This exam is a privilege in itself. No doubt the level of exam is quite high, but it can be cracked easily with sheer dedication and hard work.
An approach with great determination and confidence can help the one to turn dreams into reality. A well-planned preparation makes a way towards success. The IAS exam pattern is totally different from other examinations and is discussed below and can be conquered with best UPSC online coaching sources:
IAS Exam Pattern
This exam consists of three different stages that are:
- Stage1 -Preliminary stage examination
- Stage2- Mains
- Stage3- An Interview
Stage1- Preliminary exam
The preliminary stage of IAS examination consists of two papers; one is General Studies while second is CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) which remains common for all the aspirants. Underlined points are a brief description of this stage.
- Both papers are based on multiple choice questions pattern.
- The candidate has a total of 2 hours to attempt the answers.
- The question paper is specially set up in two languages, i.e. Hindi and English. The comprehensive skills for language are printed only in English.
- Each paper is of 200 marks.
- Negative marks are also given for every wrong attempt.
Read More: 5 Successful Tips to Crack IAS Exam
Stage2- Mains Examination
Candidates who had qualified the prelims got a call for the main examination. The main examination consists of a total of 9 papers.
- Paper 1- Regional Language (Marks 300)
- Paper 2- English language (Marks 300)
- Paper 3- Essay (Marks 300)
- Paper 4- General studies 1 (Marks250)
- Paper 5- General studies 2 (Marks250)
- Paper 6- General studies 3 (Marks250)
- Paper 7- General studies 4 (Marks250)
- Paper 8- Optional 1 (Marks250)
- Paper 9- Optional 2 (Marks250)
Stage 3- The Interview
The candidates on the basis of merit list are called for an interview that is basically a personality test. This constitutes 275 marks and makes a total of 2075 marks. The candidate is judged on his confidence and skill-set he carries and the prompt way to respond to questions.
Best IAS coaching
- Classroom courses: The institute organizes various classroom courses, so one has a long list to choose from according to their priorities. Various optional subject classes are also available.
- Online video courses: This institute offers four online video courses that are GS Foundation Course – 2019, GS Modular Videos, GS Sample videos, and Sociology IAS video courses.
- Effective Study Material: The institute provides the one with extra effective study material. Their weekly and monthly magazines are very helpful for general studies and current affairs.
- Faculty and staff: The faculty of the institute is very hard working and believes in smart work. These give great tips and tricks for remembering the concepts which are a beneficial aspect in cracking the IAS examination.
The complete procedure of the exam takes around one year. A strong determination and regularity are necessary if one wants to crack this exam. Don’t be afraid off, have an honest try, remember success comes only to those who work for it.